Each walking leg of the walking bike consisted started with long metal pipes. Pieces were cut from the pipe, fit onto the jig, then welded together. More or less we were building legs one bone at a time and eventually we had built four legs. Not too difficult of a process, just time consuming.
The crankshaft was put together in pieces. Having 4 walking legs more or less dictated the shape of the crankshaft. We wanted two feet on the ground at all times. This mock up using a wire kicked off that process.
These pieces would eventually make up the crankshaft. The difficult part about making the crankshaft is it had to be precise. There were a lot of pieces that went into this one crankshaft. So mistakes would add up. To make matters worse, the heat from the welder bent the crankshaft. After each weld we essentially had to start from scratch, bending the crankshaft into the necessary shape.
The brackets were to attach the legs to the crankshaft. The legs were pushed by rods much like a connecting rod in a car engine. To get the rods to attach to the crankshaft, we had to build brackets. The brackets are metal clips that are held together by small bolts.
The purpose of the hub is to attach the crankshaft to a chain. We cut the hub out of 1/4 steel.
The push rods that will connect to the walking legs are being completed.
Here the legs are being dissasembled in preparation for buliding the frame.
The legs attach to the frame in many locations. The frame attached to the bike in two locations. Not pictured here, but the frame will eventually have a rear wheel hub. Then the top of the frame attached to the seat post.
The welding heat would bend the crankshaft out of place so we tried our best to reheat it to its proper shape.
Fitting the frame to the bike for the first time.
Some mistakes were made along the way. For exmample, bolts were used in the leg joints. And the bolts were too long to fit through the frame. The bolts were cut. The bolts clearly did not fit the frame once things were put together.
Back to the frame. While the frame could marry the bigs to the walking legs, the frame needed support to do so. Here welds are being put in place to keep the walking legs from bending.
Bushings are used to minimize the friction when the legs move. To do that plastic pushings were used from www.igus.com. I ordered a little of every bushing that may help then did a bulk order for those that were eventually used. Wherever there is a point where metal touches metal, bushing are used to decrease the friction. In all there are around 120 bushings used for the 4 walking legs.
- 2 coats of Metal Finish
- 2 coats of Carbon Mist…more or less black with gold flakes.
- 2 coats of Clear
Painting was done over the course of two weeks.